Monday, April 7, 2008

The Birdpeople

After watching the movie on Thursday, I couldn't help but feel a little bit sick inside. The birdwatchers were no different than those of the paparazzi. It's too voyeuristic of a hobby for my taste. I mean, I can understand how that hobby would interest people. Collecting stationary is a hobby I enjoy immensely and the thrill I get when I buy something unique must be the same as their's when they see an Ivory-billed Woodpecker (which, I understand, is extinct). But I couldn't help but wonder if these people, the 'watchers', were taking their hobby too far. It seemed to be more of a selfish kind of gratification that these people got from their hobby when they captured their birds and 'studied' them. I don't feel that I could really appreciate what these people do. Birds are great; they're pretty and majestic. But just leave them be. Stop objectifying the birds so much.

No comments: