Monday, September 1, 2008

Mask & Costume pt. 1

For the first part of the project, where we had to come up with a design for a costume and mask that, in the end, will have to be used to communicate something about ourselves, left me kind of stumped for awhile. The ideas I came up with, at first, did the opposite of that. For example, one of the ideas I came up with was a 'sales associate' costume because I've been one in the past. I wanted to give that costume a fake smiling mask because that's how it is when you're working in retail, you have to be fake nice and polite to everyone. Eventually though, I decided not to go with that though because, just like the fake persona I put on when I work in customer service, it didn't feel like it conveyed the 'me' I wanted it to. I also thought of making a feminine costume with a pretty venetian type of mask but in the end the idea just felt too generic to work with.














Because I felt I wasn't coming up with good enough ideas, I brained stormed a list of words that, I thought, personified me. The word I ended up working with was 'childish'. After all, isn't that something that describes me well? I took some of the elements that I sketched out a costume resembling a dress that a 5-7 year old girl would be forced to wear (I was, as a child, anyway). I even added girly socks and Mary Janes, shoes that I remember wearing as a kid. The mask could be made of rubber with hair on top and would be made to completely cover the head (like those witch masks they sell during Halloween). It's also made to look like the head of a little girl with rosy cheeks and pigtails. I've added a sketch of the mask only to my post only because I don't want to give the complete package 'away' before class on Thursday. Here it is!
















It totally looks like a creepy disembodied head!

Oh, and after doing this made me remember again how much work colored pencils are. I will not be beat this time though!

No comments: